Friday, February 12, 2010

Sister


I just had to make a note of today's encouragement before the day got away from me.

Although I have been able to talk with Mama and Daddy on the phone with great success, it has been harder for sister and me. For some reason, I don't understand her as easily as I do the parents or my brother-in-law. This bothers me because sister and I share a closeness that is unique. Not only did we go through the rites of passages that bonds sisters for life, our relationship has been refined and forged into a steel bond through different cups of suffering. However, our geography separates us and these days we rely mostly on text messaging.

My desire to chat with her via phone is king.

If one knew her character and the kind of person she is, there would be an understanding of why this is so important to me. As I type these words, I am reminded of a story that I love to tell. When we were quite young, there was a boy in our neighborhood who was making fun of my speech impediment. My sister picked up a rock and threw it at his head. Sent him to the hospital to get stitches. He never bothered me again. That moment of time is seared onto my heart. I have never gotten over it.

That kind of a love. That deep loyalty. That warrior spirit for justice. That reflection of Christ.

There is no sister like her.

She has been under the weather, so I called to check on her. I was not expecting much of the conversation- just a hi-feeling-better-great-love-you-bye type thing.

We talked for close to 20 minutes.

We talked about her doing flowers for a party that she hopes to attend tonight. We talked about a guy in our church who'd lost 30 percent of his hearing. We talked about her sleeping 11 hours last night.

I got it.

I got the whole conversation.

Tears.

Tears of joy.


No comments: