Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grief

I was at the library a couple of days ago when I ran into an acquaintance whom I had not seen in a while. As we struck up a conversation, I sensed something was a little off and asked her how she was doing. Tears sprang to her eyes as she responded with "Well, I lost my husband two months ago and it has been tough". I was taken off guard because I had not a clue that her husband had been sick, much less had died. There was the temptation to not go there, just to say "I am so sorry", change the subject and call it a day.

Instead I found myself immersed in a conversation about her husband, his last days and this elephant called grief. Apparently her daughter is ready for her to stop crying and her friends are constantly trying to cheer her. No one knows what to do with this prolonged grief.

Prolonged grief?!?! Pulling oneself together only after 2 months?!?!? If this were my Hous, I would still be in my pajamas with the covers over my head, not at the library.

Later, as I reflected on our conversation I wondered what makes us so uncomfortable with grief. I get the painful aspect of it. Having surgery is painful. Having children is painful. Yet we push through those things. But curiously, when it comes to grief, we distract, medicate or ignore it. Why?

Since I have no answer to my own questions, I will move on.

Today's encouragements: I went to Sunday school class for the first time since surgery and I could tell a big difference in keeping up with the class conversation. I also had a short conversation with a close friend via phone today and understood everything! I also had a long conversation with Mama and Daddy via cell phone and understood most of what they said. Although I am seeing improvements, I am worn out by the end of the day!


No comments: