Thursday, January 21, 2010

Four days after activation

Overwhelming and exhausting are the two words I use these days in response to inquiries about my activation and subsequent rehabiliation. Thanks to my Father above, I am making amazing progress but make no mistake, this is tough.

My brain is having to relearn sounds. Literally. I got into a discussion with Mama over the way boiling water sounds. I have heard it as a low roar most of my life but now I am hearing it as a tinkling sound. My brain tells me this can't be the correct sound, so I have to confirm it with my family and friends:

Me: "this boiling water sounds like it is tinkling not roaring"
Mama: "right- that's how I hear it"
Me: "are you certain this is right? maybe you are not hearing it right"

Nice. Its a wonder that I still have any family or friends left.

I have a small goal every day: to look for that day's encouragement provided from the One who loves me the best. He is the author of all good things and king of encouragements.

Today started out frustrating: I had to cycle through the four programs several times this morning since I was having trouble with environmental sounds. I did not do well on the word recognition lists. I felt overwhelmed -all I wanted to do is take out my implant and sit in a hot bath with a good glass of red wine.

It was a fist-clenched, teeth-grinding choice to believe that encouragement would come. Come it did. I chatted with Mama via phone twice today and understood 85% of what she said. This is huge! My two prayers have been that I would be able to talk on the phone again and understand the words of praise music. Am jazzed that I am already doing phone rehab in the first week of turn on!


No comments: