Monday, April 19, 2010

Seattle and Whistler

So, last week hubs and I headed to Seattle and then Whistler for a pleasure and business trip. I don't have time to give an exhaustive list but wanted to note some things that we enjoyed before I forget them.

Seattle-
We skipped most of the tourist things with the exception of a day trip to Victoria. I adored, adored Pike's Place Market. If you enjoy food, this is not to be missed. Fish market. European bakeries. Fresh flowers market. Stalls full of Latin American spices. Clam chowder stalls. I sampled the famed Beecher's Mac and Cheese. This stuff is so worth standing in line for. We took a ferry over to Victoria, British Columbia and did tea at the Empress hotel. Did not think my duck-hunting and motorcycle-riding hubs would sit for long at tea but even he enjoyed it! We had a fabulous view of the water and I am sure the wonderful white wine along with the tea made it more fun for hubs. We rented a car and drove to the Butchart Gardens. Mama had recommended this and we were so glad we made the 30 minute drive. The gardens are beautiful and truly masterpieces. Saw a few ideas I wanted to try out in our yard. During our stay in Seattle, we lodged at the Edgewater and I really really liked it. Some reviewers on Tripadvisor did not like the small size of the rooms but it reminded me of a cozy European hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

Whistler, BC-
We flew into Vancouver and then headed on to Whistler, BC. Seeing the skis slopes made me nostolgic for my skiing days but did not want to risk a bad fall, so passed up on the skiing. Whistler reminds me of Park City, Utah before the rich and famous discovered it. Beautiful. Rustic. Charming. Down to earth. When not working, we spent our time walking and enjoying the cold. We stayed at the Westin in the Upper Village and really enjoyed our location. Again, if you are a foodie, check out the Araxi. We thought it was worth the expense. Fabulous ambience. Great martinis and wine selection. The cheese souffle and entree of seared scallops were fabulous. We took our clients out to Ric's steakhouse and that was nice. Good wine selection. The appetizers of goat cheese crostinis and Mediterrean dip were huge hits. Lobster was delicious even though it was slightly overcooked. Clients said steaks were tender and cooked well.


No comments: