Sunday, May 31, 2009

Patio Project



Punkin and I like to grill out on our patio but the view left a lot to be desired:       

                                                                                                                


At first I considered just putting lattice around the air conditioner unit and calling it a day. However, I realized it would not hide the ugly panel on the brick wall. Planting shrubs in that area was out of the question because I am too impatient to wait for them to get big enough to cover the ugliness.

 Never one to lack for grandiose ideas, I talked Punkin into building a planter box using  the leftover cedar from our deck addition (I really worked the recycling angle on him!) and adding lattice behind it. After sealing it, we filled the planter with dirt and planted  Carolina Jasmine vines.  Carolina Jasmine is an evergreen vine that can grow up to 20 ft and ours should produce yellow flowers in early spring.



We still have a lot of work to do on the patio, but it is fun to see the different stages of progress. 




On the table is a planter that is actually the top of an old bird bath. Since it is cracked on the bottom, it is perfect for holding succulents. I hope these succulents will take over by the end of the summer. 



 





No comments: